The new edition of Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions is now ready to ship.
Changes in brief:
- - Every chapter has been completely revised, updated, and carefully edited,
often with the help of content specialists.
- - Canadian content is now integrated throughout the book, eliminating the
need for separate books.
- - The book is accompanied by an all-new, topically-organized collection of
further readings, useful websites, and other helpful resources, found online
Significant chapter changes:
Chapter 1: Self-Management: What Is It and How Can You Do It?
- - New Self-Test at the end of Chapter 1 helps readers understand how best to apply the concepts in the book to their own lives.
Chapter 4: Understanding and Managing Common Conditions
- - All-new chapter provides essential information about living with and managing the most common chronic illnesses such as chronic lung disease, heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, and arthritis (these discussions were near the end of the book in the 4th edition).
Chapter 5: Understanding and Managing Common Symptoms and Emotions
- - A new discussion at the end of Chapter 5 on the uses and misuses of opioids by Beth Darnall, PhD, including ideas for reducing use and tapering off of opioid medications.
Chapter 9: Freedom and Safety
- - This is a new chapter on adaptive devices and creating a safe environment. Topics include using good body mechanics, exercises to reduce injury risks,
modifying your home and surroundings, and using assistive technology to make activities easier and safer.
Chapter 10: Healthy Eating
- - Completely revised and updated, this chapter now includes two helpful appendixes: Healthy Eating Plans for 1,600 and 2,000 Calories, and Food Groups for Meal Planning.
Chapter 13: Managing Your Treatment Decisions and Medications
- - Chapter 13 now combines two topics that were previously treated in separate chapters: Managing Treatment Decisions and Medications.
Chapter 14: Managing Diabetes
- - Completely updated by expert contributors to reflect current information on monitoring blood glucose, healthy eating, and resources for people with diabetes in both the US and Canada.
Chapter 15: Working and Living with Chronic Conditions
- - This new chapters covers work / life balance, managing stress while working, as well as work as it relates to communication, physical activity, and eating well.
Other important notes about the new edition:
- - You will have an entire year to use the 4th edition books you may already have. Don’t worry about needing to upgrade immediately.
- - The Canadian and U.S. editions will be combined into one book. This was done in consultation with experts from both countries. There will no longer be a need to order separate versions.
- - If you would like to pre-order, please contact Emily (email@example.com) for information.