Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions, 5th Edition - Now Available!
Quantity discounts (excludes digital products):
- Online prices include 20% discount
- 50 - 199 items: 30% discount
- 200 - 499 items: 35% discount
- 500+ items: 40% discount
Estimated delivery date: December 19 - December 23
eBooks and MP3 Audio files are available for download on purchase. Questions?
Available December 2019
Over 1.5 million copies sold!
OUR READERS LEARN HOW TO BECOME ACTIVE SELF-MANAGERS through problem solving, decision making, goal setting, and action planning. This book shares these tools of self management as well as the basics of healthy eating, exercise, relaxation, communication, and emotional empowerment.
Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions offers readers a unique and exciting opportunity — the chance to take control of their health and enjoy their lives to the fullest extent possible with chronic illness.
Originally based on a five-year study at Stanford University, the content in this completely revised 5th edition includes the feedback of medical professionals and people with chronic conditions all over the world.
“This book has opened our eyes and changed our lives forever.”
— Participant feedback, Chronic Disease Self-Management Program
About the Authors
Kate Lorig, DrPH, is professor emerita at Stanford University School of Medicine and a partner in the Self-Management Resource Center.
Diana Laurent, MPH, is a health educator and partner in the Self-Management Resource Center.
Virginia González, MPH, is a health educator and partner in the Self-Management Resource Center.
David Sobel, MD, MPH, is adjunct lecturer in the Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine.
Marian Minor, PT, PhD, is a professor emerita at the University of Missouri School of Health Professions where she taught and did research on exercise.
Maureen Gecht-Silver, OTD, MPH, OTR/L, is an assistant professor of clinical family medicine and occupational therapy at University of Illinois at Chicago.
|Author||Kate Lorig, DrPH, Diana Laurent, MPH, Virginia González, MPH, David Sobel, MD, MPH, Marian Minor, PT, PhD, Maureen Gecht-Silver, OTD, MPH, OTR/L|
|Table of Contents||
1. Self-Management: What Is It and How Can You Do It?
2. Becoming an Active Self-Manager
3. Finding Resources
4. Understanding and Managing Common Conditions
5. Understanding and Managing Common Symptoms and Emotions 6. Using Your Mind to Manage Symptoms
7. Being Physically Active
8. Exercising to Make Life Easier
9. Organizing Your Life for Freedom and Safety
10. Healthy Eating
11. Communicating with Family, Friends, and Health Care Providers
12. Enjoying Sex and Intimacy
13. Managing Your Treatment Decisions and Medications
14. Managing Diabetes
15. Working and Living with Chronic Conditions
16. Planning for the Future: Fears and Reality