The new edition of Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions is now ready to ship.
Changes in brief:
- - Every chapter has been completely revised, updated, and carefully edited, often with the help of content specialists when required.
- - Canadian content is now integrated throughout the book, eliminating the need for separate books. A change in format indicates content that is of particular interest to the Canadian audience.
- - The book is accompanied by an all-new, topically-organized collection of further readings, useful websites, and other helpful resources organized by topic. The resources list is online at www.bullpub.com/resources.
Highlights of the changes to this edition:
Chapter 1: Self-Management: What Is It and How Can You Do It?
- - New Chronic Conditions Self-Test at the end of Chapter 1 helps readers identify their personal concerns and understand how best to apply the concepts in the book to their own lives.
Chapter 3: Finding Resources
- - Updated content on using online resources to find the most reliable information.
Chapter 4: Understanding and Managing Common Conditions
- - All-new Chapter 4 provides essential information about living with and managing the most common chronic illnesses such as lung disease, heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, and arthritis because across chronic conditions, self-management skills are more common than different. (In previous editions, these discussions were in separate chapters near the end of the book.)
Chapter 5: Understanding and Managing Common Symptoms and Emotions
- - A new discussion at the end of Chapter 5 on the use and misuse of opioids by Beth Darnall, PhD, includes information about reducing use and tapering opioid medications.
Chapter 9: Freedom and Safety
- - This new chapter on adaptive devices and creating a safe environment includes practical information about good body mechanics, exercises to reduce injury risks, modifying your home and surroundings, and using assistive technology to make activities easier and safer.
Chapter 10: Healthy Eating
- - Completely revised and updated, this chapter now includes two helpful appendixes: Healthy Eating Plans for 1,600 and 2,000 Calories, and Food Groups for Meal Planning.
Chapter 13: Managing Your Treatment Decisions and Medications
- - Now combines two topics that were addressed in separate chapters in past editions: treatment decisions and medications.
Chapter 14: Managing Diabetes
- - Completely updated by expert contributors from both the US and Canada to reflect current information on monitoring blood glucose, healthy eating, and resources for people with diabetes.
Chapter 15: Working and Living with Chronic Conditions
- - This new chapters covers work / life balance and managing work, as well as work issues relating to communication, physical activity, and eating well.