Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Pain, NEW 2nd Edition - Available Now!
Quantity discounts (excludes digital products):
- Online prices include 20% discount
- 50 - 199 items: 30% discount
- 200 - 499 items: 35% discount
- 500+ items: 40% discount
Estimated delivery date: July 10 - July 14
eBooks and MP3 Audio files are available for download on purchase. Questions?
About the Book
Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Pain has helped over 90,000 individuals manage their pain and strive to live satisfying, fulfilling lives.
In the new second edition, the authors have carefully developed and improved every chapter. Packed with useful advice, tips, strategies, and positive reinforcement, the book empowers readers to become their own informed pain self-managers. Each person with chronic pain is unique and the goal of this book is to help each person manage their lives in the way that works best for them.
The new edition includes:
* An updated and scientifically sound discussion of pain in Chapter 1 that gives readers the information they need to best manage their personal pain.
* An updated resources chapter with a useful emphasis on how to find and judge online resources.
* New more in-depth coverage of mental health issues related to pain, including depression, anger, fear, guilt, stress, and memory problems.
* An all-new chapter, Organizing and Pacing Your Life for Pain Self-Management and Safety that includes thorough, well-illustrated information on using assistive technology.
* Completely rewritten exercise chapters with clearer illustrations to help readers build their own exercise program, step-by-step. This chapter also discusses taking advantage of exercise opportunities in the community.
* An updated communication chapter to assist readers as they navigate through the health care system, featuring helpful tips on remote communication as well as in-person visits.
* Another all-new chapter, Managing Pain During Employment and Unemployment, sensitively addresses the issues connected with experiencing pain in the workplace.
* Two completely updated chapters on weight management and nutrition that discuss the relationship between pain and nutrition and reflect current government standards and the most recent research.
About the Authors
Sandra LeFort, MN, PhD is professor emerita at the Faculty of Nursing, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada.
Kate Lorig, DrPH, is professor emerita at Stanford University School of Medicine and a partner in the Self-Management Resource Center.
Diana Laurent, MPH, is a health educator and partner in the Self-Management Resource Center.
Virginia González, MPH, is a health educator and partner in the Self-Management Resource Center.
David Sobel, MD, MPH, is adjunct lecturer in the Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine.
Marian Minor, PT, PhD, is a professor emerita at the University of Missouri School of Health Professions where she taught and did research on exercise.
Francis Keefe, PhD, is a Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Duke University Medical Center and Director of the Duke Pain Prevention and Treatment Research Program.
Maureen Gecht-Silver, OTD, MPH, OTR/L, is an assistant professor of clinical family medicine and occupational therapy at University of Illinois at Chicago.
|Author||Sandra LeFort, RN, PhD, Kate Lorig, DrPH, Diana Laurent, Virginia González, MPH, David Sobel, MD, MPH, Marian Minor, PT, PhD, Francis Keefe, PhD, Maureen Gecht-Silver, OTD, MPH, OTR/L|
|Published On||Sep 6, 2021|
|Table of Contents||
Chapter 1 – Chronic Pain Self-Management: What It Is and How To Do It
Chapter 2 – Becoming an Active Self-Manager
Chapter 3 – Finding Resources
Chapter 4 – Understanding and Managing Common Symptoms and Problems
Chapter 5 – Using Your Mind to Manage Pain and Other Symptoms
Chapter 6 – Organizing and Pacing Your Life for Pain Self-Management and Safety
Chapter 7 – Exercising and Physical Activity for Every Body
Chapter 8 – Exercising to Feel Better
Chapter 9 – Healthy Eating and Pain Self-Management
Chapter 10 – Healthy Weight and Pain Self-Management
Chapter 11 – Communicating with Family, Friends, and Health Care Providers
Chapter 12 – Managing Pain During Employment and Unemployment
Chapter 13 – Enjoying Sex and Intimacy
Chapter 14 – Managing Your Treatment Decisions and Medications
Chapter 15 – Understanding Medications and Other Treatments for Chronic Pain
Chapter 16 – Managing Specific Chronic Pain Conditions: Arthritis, Neck and Back Pain, Fibromyalgia, Headache, Pelvic Pain, and Neuropathic Pain Syndromes
Chapter 17 – Planning for the Future: Fears and Reality
The Moving Easy Program audio is included with the book
|Figure 1.2 The Vicious Cycle||Correction to the figure that explains the cycle of chronic pain symptoms||86.8 KB||Download|
|Moving Easy (1 of 2)||mp3||957.2 KB||Download|
|Moving Easy (2 of 2)||mp3||19.2 MB||Download|
|My Action Plan (page 41)||94.9 KB||Download|
|Figure 4.1 Sample Behavioral Worksheet||189.3 KB||Download|
|Table 10.3 Factors Affecting the Decision to Change Your Weight Now||213.3 KB||Download|
|Figure 11.1 Your Pain Profile||190.9 KB||Download|
|Figure 12.1 Time Management Worksheet||179.9 KB||Download|